Monday, December 20, 2010

5 reasons why I want to be an environmental scientist

I am a teacher but not the best, experience is.

Almost everybody have been asking me why i enrolled in such (at the very least) unique degree in college. Well, aside from its being new and unique during that time here are 5 of my most thought of reasons why I did not regret taking up environmental science in college.

1. Solutions to today’s problems need my scientific knowledge on the environment.

“Many environmental scientists protect the environment through jobs in solid and hazardous waste management, land use, and air or water quality. Their understanding of biology, chemistry, and physics helps them assess environmental quality and find ways to protect air, water, and land.”

Purdue University Environmental Science Recruitment Brochure

2. It’s definitely needed in the future.

“The number of jobs for environmental scientists is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations through 2018. As population grows, it takes more work to keep the environment clean. Also, more people are becoming aware of environmental problems and want to fix them. Businesses and governments will also hire scientists to make sure they are following stricter environmental laws.”

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

3. The government needs my expertise.

“This science-supported, centralized approach to protecting the environment and the public health has yielded considerable gains. Although robust, long-term indicators of progress are unfortunately not available, there is little debate that, absent the current framework, environmental conditions … would be considerably worse than they are today."

New Roles for Science in Environmental Decision Making: Discussion Paper

4. More people are already aware but more still needs to be informed.

The world is changing faster now than at any time since the last ice-age 10,000 years ago and the major cause of that change is man. To allow the changes to continue unchecked is reckless at the least. Monitoring those changes and being able to convince others that we have to do or not do activities that affect the environment will take well qualified people with the relevant environmental science degree."

An Environmental Science Degree: An Investment In The Future

5. It’s a hero’s job.

Need I say more?

10 Jobs for Superheroes: Jobs That Make the World a Better Place

These are just some of the reasons why I am confident that I made the right choice in college. In the first place I did not think about these reasons myself. Somebody else thought about it and there are at least five of them.

Please leave comments below.

6 comments:

Dharling Vain Liza Bernas said...

I salute you Sir!:))
I honor ES students..We are one of the few who will protect, preserve and would take any risks just to save the environment!
God bless us!:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

sir,because of you...i am so inspired-willing to protect and help our mother nature! yeah...
your the best.!!!</blink

wenielyn yongao said...

you're the best sir!

Unknown said...

i was confused between biotech and env science that in which field i would take my admission for my masters,as i have completed my graduation in biotech...but now seeing this i've been inspired..and i am now sure that i will do my masters with env sciences....thank you...

Unknown said...

I needed to take a course to get in my hours. I'm going to take environmental science and I believe I will enjoy it. This course doesn't have anything to do with my major which is BS in nursing , but I think it will be very interesting .You are an inspiration to those that want to take care of mother earth. We all need to take care of our environment. Thanks, Karen

 
Powered by Blogger